Saturday 2 October 2010

Saturday, 2nd October 2010 - Photo #275

As it was misty again this morning I rushed out early with the camera to try and get a cobweb covered in shimmering dew. There were loads on Thursday when it was really foggy and they were beautiful. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite misty enough and the cobwebs were dry, however, I did find this spider in the middle of spinning a massive new web.

Used the close up lens, it was tricky though because she was so busy she kept moving and the whole web was shaking due to the size of her. Could have done without the plant in the background that is too bright but I like the pink and the bit of web that she is working on. I was really brave and got close - had it been a frog now that would have been a completely different story!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Your very clever in being able to sex this spider.lol We have a similar spider which has built a huge web across our kitchen window, I sit there every morning having my breakfast and watch it.

    I have not quite got round to getting the camera out yet, but in awe of how these amazing insects can build something so huge and complex and which even man with all his technology would be unable to achieve. Well done the spiders of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I meant to say was, I think it comes from a life long love of the book 'Charlotte's Web' which makes me think of every spider as being female. If only this one could spin a long word in her web just like Charlotte we would be rich!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid your last post has been totally lost on an old man like me , never having read or know anything about Charlotte's web. But I will make enquires from those who might know. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's quite an old child's book about a runt piglet that a little girl gets to keep and look after. However, when the pig gets bigger the farmer wants to take him to market so his friends in the barn yard try to think of a way to save his life. Charlotte the spider spins a web with "amazing pig" in the centre, the farm becomes famous and Wilbur the pig is saved. Hooray.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pink backdrop, suits Mrs Spider ;0)

    ReplyDelete