Sunday 30 May 2010

Saturday, 29th May 2010 - Photo #149

"The Meeting Place"

Late home last night after a full day at London for Linda's birthday. We started early and caught the train from Parkway station (I'll never forget the sparkling birthday cake candle that we thought was going to get us thrown off the train!), onto Portabello Road Market to see the antiques and stalls.

We then went to Harrods and luckily I found a display of three of Marilyn Monroe's gowns designed by Travilla (who made the world famous white dress that blew up when the underground train went past underneath her). That dress wasn't there but the three that were were from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes including the famous gold dress. I was so excited, took loads of pictures but the collage I decided to blog is from St Pancras station and is a sculpture by Paul Day called "The Meeting Place". It is absolutely massive and I felt a bit giddy looking up at the whole of it, around the base is a freize of people meeting. I especially like the one in the left hand corner of the couple who are embracing but she is on her mobile phone over his shoulder!!

After Harrods we saw "The Woman in Black" at the Fortune Theatre in Russell Square. It was great, made me jump a few times and a really good story, well acted too. Last stop was Covent Garden for some more retail therapy.

I love London, I feel excited just getting out of the train station - just wish I knew my way around a bit better.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. The Paul Day sculpture is one of my favourites, when St P's was being refurbished there was a series of programs on the TV and one contained details of the sculptor and how the statue was made. The frieze around the bottom has been added, as it wasn't present when I went to London in January 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it's lovely, there are some photos on Flicker of it being installed and I noticed the frieze not there. It's very detailed, could have spent hours looking at it.

    ReplyDelete