Thursday 6 May 2010

Thursday, 6th May 2010 - Photo #126

Another trip down memory lane this one, been to Ilkeston today, where I was born and bred (Ey up me duck and all that!). This is the Scala Cinema which is apparently the second oldest purpose built cinema in the country and was built in 1913. It's years since I have actually been in it and it is really strange nowadays to have a cinema with only one or two films on at a time (although they are on for a full week). If anybody remembers the TV show 'Boon' then the title credits showed Michael Elphick (Ken Boon) standing under the dome (Ilkeston trivia anyone?) It even has double seats on the back row (I don't know if they are still there though), sadly I never sat on them (all together now, arrrrrrr!)

Had a bit of trouble with this photo as there is a dirty great telephone cable straight across the top of the building which I have cloned out and at the back and to one side of the facade there is the brick roof of the theatre itself. With the building being so symetrical it looked awful so have got rid of it. Phew.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Well done Carol, cloned to perfection, black and white suits this shot.

    No Ilkeston trivia I'm afraid, arrrrrr.

    Well known for Ikea I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done Carol, your photography and editing skills grow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Barry, just don't look too closely ssssshhh!!!!

    ReplyDelete